Case Study – Off Grid Solar Powered Toilet Block & Street Lighting Melbourne – Yarra Trams
Yarra Trams contracted GreenPower to build an off grid solar tracking system to power public toilets and street lighting. GreenPower design and installed a 2.616kWp SunPower solar panel system coupled with a Selectronic SP PRo energy management system.
The off grid solar project was designed and installed to provide uninterrupted power to the following;
- 2 x 150W HID street lights, running for 12 hours per day, drawing 3.6kWh per day
- 2 x toilet cubicles, each drawing 400W per day
- External 50W flood light, running for 12 hours per day, drawing 600W per day.
In addition to the adoption of renewable energy to power the facility, the green credentials of Yarra Trams was also an important facet of the installation.
Off Grid Solar System Brief
The Off grid solar power system was designed so that the toilet block, including lighting, can run via uninterrupted means without the need for mains power.
Off Grid Solar Power Configuration
- 2.6kWp Sunpower E20 327W Maxeon mono crystalline solar panels
- 14.4kWh Enduro Gel battery bank – 1 x 600ah @ 24 volt battery system – lasting 3500 cycles at 50% depth of discharge
- Selectronic SP PRo Energy Management System
- Rittal Secure weatherproof & lockable battery cabinet
- Single axis horizontal panel tracker
- Pole mounted solar tracker
- Sure foot concrete less footing system